Amoxicillin is a broad-spectrum penicillin antibiotic used to treat
various infections caused by susceptible strains of bacteria. It
is available as 100mg and 400mg tablets, 250mg and 500mg capsules
and as drops containing 50mg/1ml. The usual dose for dogs and cats
is 5-10mg/pound given by mouth every 12 to 24 hours. The duration
of treatment depends on the cause of the disease and the response
to treatment. When water is added to reconstitute the drops, the
product should be stored in the refrigerator and any unused portion
should be discarded after 14 days.
Amoxil (GlaxoSmithKline), Biomox (Delmarva), Robamox-BV (Fort Dodge),
What is this medication used for
Amoxicillin is a penicillin-like broad spectrum antibiotic used
to treat bacterial infections caused by susceptible organisms.
Amoxicillin is a prescription medication available as tablets, capsules
and oral suspension.
How this medicine should be used
The usual dose of amoxicillin in dogs and cats is 5-10mg/pound every
12-24 hours. Amoxicillin can be given with or without food.
What are the side effects
Side effects when using amoxicillin include loss of appetite, nausea,
vomiting or diarrhea. If an allergic reaction occurs, symptoms include
rash, fever, swelling of face or limbs, difficulty breathing, rapid
heart beat and incoordination.
What special precautions are there
This medication should not be used in animals allergic to penicillins
or cephalosporins. Use with caution in dehydrated animals or animals
with kidney or heart disorders. Certain prescription medications
such as allopurinol, should be used with caution when taken with
amoxicillin due to the increased risk of rash. Erythromycin and
probenecid may increase the effectiveness of amoxicillin. Always
tell your veterinarian and pharmacist what other medications your
pet is taking.
In the event of an overdose
Contact your veterinarian or veterinary emergency room. Symptoms
of overdose may include vomiting and diarrhea.
How should I store this medication
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed.
Store at room temperature, away from excess heat, light and moisture.
Do not store in the bathroom. Throw away any medication that is
outdated or no longer needed. After mixing with water, the oral
suspension should be kept in the refrigerator and any unused portion
should be discarded after 14 days. Shake well before use. Keep out
of the reach of children and pets.
This information sheet is for educational purposes only and is
intended to be a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise
and professional judgment of your veterinarian. The information
is NOT to be used for diagnosis or treatment of your pet. You should
always consult your own veterinarian for specific advice concerning
the treatment of your pet.
The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions,
precautions, warnings, allergic reactions, drug interactions or
adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use
of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for your
pet. It is not a substitute for a veterinary exam, and it does not
replace the need for services provided by your veterinarian.
Note: Any trademarks are the property of their respective companies
Home : Pet