Clavamox is a potentiated penicillin used for infections caused
by susceptible bacteria. It is available as 62.5mg, 125mg, 250mg
and 375mg tablets as well as drops containing 62.5mg/1ml. When mixed
with water the drops should be stored in the refrigerator and the
unused portion discarded after 10 days. The usual dose for dogs
and cats is 6.25mg/pound by mouth every 12 hours. The duration of
treatment depends on the type of infection and the response to treatment.
Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium
Augmentin (GlaxoSmithKline), Clavamox (Pfizer Animal Health)
What is this medication used for
Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium is a penicillin-like broad
spectrum antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections caused by
Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium is a prescription medication
available as tablets and oral suspension.
How this medicine should be used
The usual dose of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium in dogs
and cats is 6.25mg/pound every 12hours. This medication should be
given with food. If the tablets are foil wrapped, do not open wrapper
until ready to give the medication.
What are the side effects
Side effects when using amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium include
loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. If an allergic
reaction occurs, symptoms include rash, fever, swelling of face
or limbs, difficulty breathing, rapid heart beat and incoordination.
What special precautions are there
This medication should not be used in animals allergic to penicillins
or cephalosporins. Use with caution in dehydrated animals or animals
with kidney or heart disorders. Certain prescription medications
such as allopurinol should be used with caution when taken with
amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium due to the increased risk
of rash. Erythromycin and probenecid may increase the effectiveness
of amoxicillin and clavulante potassium. Always tell your veterinarian
and pharmacist what other medications your pet is taking.
In the event of an overdose
Contact your veterinarian or veterinary emergency room. Symptoms
of overdose may include vomiting and diarrhea.
How should I store this medication
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed.
Store at room temperature, away from excess heat, light and moisture.
Do not store in the bathroom. Throw away any medication that is
outdated or no longer needed. After mixing with water, the oral
suspension should be kept in the refrigerator and any unused portion
should be discarded after 10 days. Shake well before use. Keep out
of the reach of children and pets.
This information sheet is for educational purposes only and is
intended to be a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise
and professional judgment of your veterinarian. The information
is NOT to be used for diagnosis or treatment of your pet. You should
always consult your own veterinarian for specific advice concerning
the treatment of your pet.
The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions,
precautions, warnings, allergic reactions, drug interactions or
adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use
of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for your
pet. It is not a substitute for a veterinary exam, and it does not
replace the need for services provided by your veterinarian.
Note: Any trademarks are the property of their respective companies
Home : Pet